One-Oven BBQ Chicken
Oh hey there friends, it’s been a while.
I hope everyone’s summer was fantastic, and the first bit of fall has been going well, and the total amounts of pumpkin are tolerable. I’ve been going pretty much non-stop since the beginning of August, which has been both super fun and unbelievably draining. At the beginning of August I competed, then ran off to California right away for REI’s Outessa summit, and I also managed to sneak away to Hawaii for a 10 day vacation. Throw in some long shifts at work in there, and generally not being home for almost 2 months, and you’ve got yourself a very tired Erin that’s in denial that it’s almost October. (But I mean, Hallowe’en, so YAY!).
Some of the main highlights from the past couple months I’ll slowly be sharing with you guys over the coming weeks; competing again (yay!), not making the 100% RAW national team this year (boo), the REI Outessa summit in California, some highlights from Hawaii, plus I’m collaborating with some really great Calgary businesses to bring you guys some new and different content as well!
I always get tons of questions about my meal prep, and where to start with organizing your food for your week. Though I’m slowly growing a collection of will-last-you-through-the-week meal prep recipes on this here blog, this one here is my current bread and butter. If I have a week where I don’t feel particularly inspired and/or motivated to make something new, I usually default to some version of this ‘one-oven’ recipe below. This method of prepping your food is also really helpful if you’re on any type of specific nutrition plan, such as RP Strength (which I’ve recently started, more on that later). Give this a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 kg skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 5 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped (390 g)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (650g)
- 1 bunch kale, de-ribbed and coarsely chopped (230g)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped (20g)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large yam, diced (485g)
- Montreal steak spice
- Preheat your oven to 375*F. To put all this together you’ll need a medium loaf pan, a baking sheet, and a small loaf pan.
- Smother the chicken breasts in the BBQ sauce, and place in the medium pan and cover. Pop this pan into the oven and set a timer for 40 minutes
- Tip: You can marinade the chicken by letting it sit in the BBQ sauce in the fridge for ~4 hours before you make this, for extra deliciousness.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the broccoli, cherry tomatoes, kale, jalapeno peppers, and 2 of the garlic cloves.
- Drizzle about half the olive oil over these vegetables and season with oregano. Mix lightly with a wooden spoon to ensure the veggies are evenly coated.
- Spread out this veggie mixture on the baking sheet, and set aside.
- In the small loaf pan, combine the yams, remaining garlic, remaining olive oil, and season with Montreal Steak Spice. Mix lightly with a wooden spoon to coat the yams, then cover the loaf pans.
- When 25 minutes are left on the timer for the chicken (or 15 minutes have passed, depending on your counting method). Add the veggie sheet and small dish with the yams to the same oven. Some oven Tetris-ing may be required
- Once the timer goes off, the chicken and all the veggies are done! Enjoy!
Carbs: 71 g
Fat: 14 g
Protein: 55 g