Turkey Quinoa Bowls
Happy Monday y’all!
This past weekend was my first 100% Raw Powerlifting meet, and the whole weekend was a WHIRLWIND. It was amazing! I’ll do a full recap post of all the tremendous things that happened at some point this week, but just wanted to quickly update you all first. I’m so happy with how I did, and I even have some pretty exciting news to share with everyone on top of it.
In the meantime! Here’s a really easy recipe I use for Turkey Quinoa Bowls. These are light, fresh, and make for awesome lunches since they keep in the fridge really well. These are often a lunch I default to, especially when I’m cutting weight and/or am lazy.
- To prepare the quinoa, follow the directions on the package. Most brands require a 3:1 water to quinoa ratio (so 3 cups of water for one cup of quinoa). Add the quinoa to the water in a large pot with lid. Bring to a boil over high heat, stir, then lower to medium low heat and let simmer until the water is evaporated.
- You can usually bring the quinoa to the simmer part of your preparation, then leave it to simmer while you prepare the rest of this
- For the tomatoes, start by turning on your oven’s broiler to heat up. Spread the cherry tomatoes out on a baking sheet, then drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Place the tomatoes in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to ‘burst’
- While the quinoa is quinoa-ing, and the tomatoes are tomato-ing, you can start on the rest of the bowl ingredients. With a pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, the garlic, and the ground turkey. With a wooden spoon, break up the turkey meat in the pan. Add the seasoning. Cook until the meat is evenly brown.
- Once the Turkey is mostly cooked, add the onion. Cook until it begins to soften, about 5 mins.
- Add the yellow and orange peppers, cook for about 5 more minutes.
- By this point, the turkey and vegetable mixture should be done, with cooked through meat and tender vegetables. Remove this pan from heat. The tomatoes should be done, and taken out of the oven
- All of the water should be cooked off the quinoa. Keeping the pot on low heat, fluff up the quinoa with a fork. Then add the turkey and vegetable mixture to the pot, mixing well with a wooden spoon.
- Finally, add the tomatoes to the quinoa and turkey mixture, stirring gently so as to not over squish the tomatoes. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the mix, and stir gently.